This position is: Full Time
Position Location: Lafayette, LA; Houma, LA
T. Baker Smith, LLC is seeking a Hydrographic technician in our marine survey group. This position will work as a team member on multiple projects providing technical and operational support to provide integrated solutions.
- This position is both a field and office position.
- The primary focus will be the performance of hydrographic, and depth of cover projects both major/minor in size. Also responsible for operation of satellite survey equipment, conventional survey equipment (Total Stations, EDMS, Transit, etc.), and acoustic survey equipment interfaced to graphic computer system for navigation purposes in the marine environment.
- Performance of minor maintenance of field equipment and survey vessels. Requires travel for technical and field testing aboard survey vessels.
- Drive vehicles to and from office locations and marine docks
- Load and unload equipment and install it on vessels to be used in the surveying procedure.
- Set up, interface, test, and operate surface/sub-surface positioning equipment including DGPS, sonar, and related systems.
Requirements and Technical Experiences
2-5 years’ experience in Bathymetric equipment includes multibeam echo sounders, singlebeam echo sounders, side scan sonar, sub-bottom profiler, GPS survey instruments, utility locating equipment, and small vessels.
Experience with HYPACK data collection and processing software, AutoCAD/Mapping as well as Microsoft Excel and Word.
Experience with the setup and configuration of computer workstations and networks; working aboard vessels; and working with hand tools necessary to install electronic or mechanical equipment aboard a vessel.
Strong oral and written communication skills with a client focus and a can do attitude are required.
Must be detail oriented, team player, safety conscious, and able to manage multiple work assignments
Boating and nautical skills and hold, or ability to obtain, state boating license
Ability to travel and work shifts aboard a vessel